My drive to create/craft is acting up, as it usually does following stress (an exam, an assembly, and not knowing why the stomach had a false positive half an hour before lunch). I wonder what form of art I can use to satisfy it this time. Writing poetry seems to work, but it only works to a limited extent given the slots I allot it. Keeping the considerations in mind, I open tty2, log in, and enter, “lynx http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/art,” knowing what I would find. The section labeled, “Motivated functions of art,” contains some interesting information and organizes art into six basic purposes:
- Communication: The focus of my drive seems to be art, not didacticism, but the fact that my didactic illustrations can be considered art reassures me to a slight extent.
- Entertainment: I want a contemplative focus, and observing entertainment has convinced me that it tends to reduce contemplation.
- Political change: This is a personal drive to create, not a drive to convince. I am not interested in dealing with the inevitable questions following politicking [sic].
- Psychological: It really is an issue of wanting to do something badly more than it is of appeasing the AS special interests.
- Subversion: The art I want to create will probably affect only myself, and I hate rebellious art in any case.
- Propaganda: This art is personal. It cannot fall under this category any more than it can fall under, “Subversion.”
I still wonder what form of art can soothe the desire. The drive usually falls to normal levels after some appeasement, which usually requires only 0040 or sometimes 0120. Maybe creating a personal seal (last known interest: 2008091x.1420 will